Sliders is the Youth Performance Troupe of CircusWA and aims to foster the next generation of professional Circus performers.
Young people 13-25 enrolled in any of CircusWA classes who display exceptional skills and talent in Circus arts have the opportunity to join Sliders. The program accepts up to 12 students annually and students already in the program are invited to return in subsequent years if they desire.
By receiving a more focussed and high-level of level of training and development, the Sliders program prepares students for work in the professional Circus circuit, in street arts or to act as a springboard for further studies at institutions such the National Institute of Circus Arts (NICA) or the Flying Fruit Fly Circus.
As a performance troupe, Sliders provides the students in the program opportunities to showcase the skills and performance pieces they have developed in their training at either community festivals/events, corporate functions or at in-house productions at the Big Top.
The objectives of Sliders are:
- To develop and enhance the Circus, theatrical, and performance skills of the students in the program.
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment for students to create and develop their own artistic material and performance pieces.
- To provide opportunities for the students to perform both in-house, in the community, and in the professional circuit.
- To support the transition of young Circus students into professional Circus performers.
- To assist in raising the profile of the CircusWA and the individual students in the program.
Throughout the year the students work on their solo specialist skills, as well as working on developing their abilities in a range of Circus, theatrical, performance and dance skills through master-classes with leading experts, trainers, and teachers in various fields.
Students also work on developing and creating self-devised and directed solo and duo pieces, small group works, and under the guidance of guest Artistic Directors (engaged for special funded projects) will create, rehearse and perform a large scale production at major events such as Fringe Festival, Lunar Circus Festival or Joondalup Festival.
Becoming a Slider
Being part of the group requires a positive attitude, respect for other students in the troupe, trainers, directors and clients and a high level of commitment – 90% attendance level over the year is required.
Sliders training on Sunday is in addition to your regular term class.
There will also be a number of performance opportunities throughout the year outside of normal training hours and as these are usually booked well in advance, it is not appropriate to withdraw at late notice after you have committed. You will be expected to make your own way to these performances with the assistance of your parents or other family/friends.
If you are 13 years or older and already attending classes in circus you are eligible to apply to be part of the program. It is preferred that you have ground and aerial skills and knowledge of tumbling and adagio for group routines is ideal.
To apply, please submit up to five minutes of video footage (iPhone/iPad is fine) of you performing your Circus skills to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are successful you will be contacted shortly after but in the meantime if you have any questions please feel free to email.
Watch the fabulous Sliders Cirquepop preview!
Booking a Sliders Performance
The following fees are effective 1 September 2016:
|COST PER 45 MINUTE PERFORMANCE|
|Number of Sliders||One performance||Two performances||Three performances||Four performances|
- the prices include GST
- the prices are for metropolitan-based shows only
- 45 minutes means a performance of between (a minimum) of 15 minutes and (a maximum) of 45 minutes
- a break of at least ten minutes is required between consecutive performances
- a lunch break of thirty minutes is required between morning and afternoon performances
- a performance could consist of stilt-walking, general roving (juggling, hula-hooping, diablo, flower sticks)
- on weekdays the Slider troupe is only available from 4.00pm until 10.00pm (for weekend and non-metropolitan bookings, please contact CircusWA for more information.
- bookings during school-holiday periods is subject to Slider availability